Wednesday 8 January 2014

Woo Hoo Wednesday

Woo Hoo Wednesday is where I'll post whatever I've accomplished since the previous Wednesday.

First up...Wednesday is weigh-in day and, with the help of SparkPeople I lost 2 pounds this week. Woo Hoo!!!

I've tried 3 times, unsuccessfully, to post pictures. Things just freeze up and I have to ctrl/alt/delete to escape. So, sadly, no pictures this post. I'll try another day.

Update: Google tells me that Blogger and IE aren't playing  nice at the moment and to use Chrome or Firefox. Success!!!

Since it was too darned cold to leave the house the past week or so, I decided to try my hand at Tunisian crochet. I have a wooden hook that belonged to my grandmother and it was pretty cool to put my hands where hers had been so many years ago. I did a swatch in sport weight and one in regular worsted. I think the hook is about a 6.5mm and seemed to be too big for both yarns. The fabric really didn't feel any thicker than if I'd done single crochet using my 5mm hook, as I normally do for these yarns.  I'll make another swatch using a bulky yarn to see if I like that any better.

First attempt.


Second one.



I also made some hand/foot balm this morning. My poor hands and feet are so dry and cracked. Lotion is useless when they get this bad. I used to make, and sell, cold process soap as well as my foot balm and a few other personal care goodies but I got tired of hauling it all back and forth to Farmers Market so I stopped. I love my foot balm. It's better than anything else I've tried. I put some on this morning and already my feet are thanking me.



I crochet for an organization called Knit A Square which provides blankets for AIDS/HIV orphans in South Africa. In a nutshell, knitters and crocheters around the world send in 8 inch squares which are then sewn into blankets and distributed. I'll try to remember to do a proper post on this fabulous organization in the near future. In the meantime, do click on the link to learn more about them and the different ways one can help.

This week, for this group, I crocheted 6 squares and have the front of a go-over all but finished. The 2 rust coloured squares are for a memory blanket I'll send later in the year.





We have a condo in Mexico that we plan to snowbird to when Grampa retires next year. In the meantime, we manage to get down there for most of the months of March and November. The big city nearby has a hospital that does cancer treatments, specifically for kids. There has been a request for soft caps/beanies for the kids for after they lose their hair. So I've dug out my knitting needles and worked on those as well. This week I got one done and half of another. I took 6 down with me this past November and would like to have another 6 for March.



I also made myself a crocheted Swiffer cover. I'll need to do a bit of tweaking on the next one. It shrunk a bit width-wise and I would like it to be just a smidge wider. Four stitches should do it.





So...what were your Woo Hoo's this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment