Saturday 25 May 2013

What a Day

It started out innocently enough...having breakfast, checking email, and texting back and forth with my 3 daughters, all trying to figure out where and when we would meet to watch the rodeo parade. I looked out the living room window and was astounded to see 2 fire trucks, the fire marshal's pickup and the smaller, bright yellow fire truck at the apartment building across the street.

Several fire fighters were gathered in a group on the lawn and another one was watching over a big fan that was pointed in towards the main door of the building. I didn't hear any sirens so I have no idea how long they'd been there. I opened the front door but couldn't smell any smoke. I haven't a clue what happened but it's a small town so I'll find out soon enough.

The parade had the usual contingent of horses, local groups and loud, honking trucks. Noticeably absent was the RCMP parade leaders and the fire engines. I suppose the fire engines/fighters had to do whatever it is they do after responding to a call and weren't able to be in the parade. But where were the boys in their dashing red serge?

Take a look at what WAS in the parade!


Yes, folks. That's a real live bison in that convertible! You can also see a dog on the back. What you can't see is the man driving the car. Only in small town Canada.

There was a little girl of about 8, and her mother, standing about 15 feet from us. While mom was busy videoing the parade on her iPhone, the girl was busy picking up candy. Now, I get that the candy thing is pretty much a free-for-all but this girl was aggressively getting all she could. She would swoop in like a seagull at a picnic, quickly scooping up all that she could get her hands on. As my grandsons, 6 and not quite 4, were reaching for goodies, she would dive in and snatch them right out from under their fingers.

The final straw came at the end of the parade when she bumped the 4 year old out of the way. I loudly said, "Seriously?!" I looked over at the mother who was now sitting down and said, "Seriously!" and gave her a withering look. She gave me a blank look like she had no idea what I was upset about. Well, of course you don't know. How could you when you weren't paying any attention to your little darling during the entire parade, to see what she was up to. ARGH! I wish it was possible to shake the stupid out of people.

It was cool and windy today so, after the parade, I pretty much hibernated in the house. Got some laundry and a whole lot of housework done.

I had planned on making muffins this afternoon but I had forgotten to take the margarine out of the fridge to soften. I did that right away and I'm baking the muffins now, in the evening. The first pan is out and they sure do smell good. I'll have to do some quality control tasting when they're cool enough..lol. I had some sour cream to use up and the over ripe bananas were starting to take over my fridge freezer so I'm using this recipe.

I'm currently working on a knitted blanket for one of the g'sons. I'm making it in four squares that I'll join together. Square #3 is on the needles right now. I want to get this square done this weekend, and I'm a slow knitter, so I'd better get back to it.

You all have a great weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment