Saturday 10 August 2013

All By Myself

Grampa left on Thursday to visit his mom and sister who live in another province. I'm taking a few  days off, here and there, over the next month so I wasn't comfortable asking for more, especially since I'm retiring the end of September. So I've been "batching it" the last 3 days.

It's been an experience. I can eat what I want, when I want. Now, Grampa isn't a fussy eater. Not at all. I'm so blessed in that regard. But it's just different when I don't have to cook with him in mind. As in, tonight I had a few slices of deli meat and a couple of Nanaimo bars for supper. Don't judge me. I don't normally eat this poorly. But I definitely eat more nutritiously when he's here.

The house is soooooo quiet! No TV blaring away. His noisy smoothy blender thingy hasn't woke me up. All those little noises a person makes, that you don't really pay attention to, are absent. Like the toilet flushing, the shower running, his electric shaver, doors opening and closing, rummaging in the fridge or pantry, puttering around the house. Can't say I've missed his snoring, though...lol.

The biggest thing has been not having anybody to talk to. I'm an introvert by nature, but even I need daily contact with people.

I couldn't help but think about folks whose spouses have passed and how my life the past 3 days has given me a small taste of what it would be like should Grampa go first. I can sure see the need for a social network and how a person could go a little cuckoo if they don't maintain social contact.

I've enjoyed having this time to myself but I'm sure going to be glad to see him when he gets home tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment